I'm using two hardened Gentoo systems on a daily basis - for business and pleasure ;] One of them is a x86_64 non-multilib desktop and the other one is a x86 laptop - both are build using the gcc-4.x branch. The official hardened Gentoo is currently still using gcc-3.4 unfortunately; however, thanks to awesome work by zorry, xake and many others there's an overlay available that supports glibc-2.10 and gcc-4.3 and gcc-4.4! ;]
Information about the overlay can be found here. It has all the information required to enjoy a fully hardened, modern Linux distro - patience and fast box is still recommended! ;)
There is a nice installation howto and forum discussion too.
So why not treat yourself with a new shiny Gentoo? I can hear your compiler screaming... ;]
- gcc-4.4.1 with graphite framework
- How to (too)quickly remove 32-bit packages from yo...
- gcc-4.4.1 is out!
- 64-bit hardened Gentoo with gcc-4.4 and glibc-2.10...
- Lilo and root partition encrypted with LUKS on Gen...
- Hardened Gentoo running glibc-2.10 and gcc-4.4 wit...
- My Gentoo boxes
- dev-libs/nss - executable stack markings
- ▼ July (8)